Letter From The President & CEO
Dear COMTO Family,
In support of COMTO’s vision, to see the diverse faces of America equally reflected in all levels of the transportation industry,COMTO’s definition of diversity includes people with disabilities, and we are pleased to announce the formation of a new standing committee in which we hope you will all participate.
I have appointed Mr. Christian T. Kent, Assistant General Manager of Access Services, with the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, to serve as Chair of the newly established COMTO Accessibility Committee and also to serve as committee designee to the COMTO Board of Advisors. Mr. Jameson Auten, Chief, Regional Service Delivery and Innovation, with Kansas City Area Transit Authority, will serve as co-chair.Ms. Monica Simon, Principal of Simon and Simon Resources, Inc. will serve as ADA Advisor. The Committee’s proposed objectives are to:
- Ensure that the transportation needs of people with disabilities are incorporated into COMTO’s constituency
- Highlight contributions that people with disabilities make to the transportation industry
- Bring greater emphasis to disabled veteran owned businesses among the historically underutilized businesses for which COMTO advocates
- Obtain fair and equal employment and contracting opportunities in the transportation industry for disabled veterans and others with disabilities
- Reinforce the value that accessibility is a form of equal opportunity
- Ensure that scholarships and internships include support for transportation professionals who wish to serve in disability-related transportation services
- Ensure that venues used for COMTO’s conferences and events are fully accessible to people with disabilities , that COMTO literature is produced in accessible formats, and that the COMTO website is fully accessible
Our first meeting will be held at the National Meeting in Detroit on Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 5 p.m. at the Detroit Marriott Hotel in the Rafael Room. We will be reviewing the above proposed objectives to finalize the Committee’s charter, and we want to hear from you! Participation on the Committee is open to all COMTO members, and we invite everyone to join us as we continue the work to make the transportation industry diverse, inclusive, and open to all.For more information on COMTO’s new Accessibility Committee, please contact staff advisor, Lauren Gunn, at email@example.com, or Christian Kent at firstname.lastname@example.org. See you in Detroit!
COMTO President and CEO